AMDG

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Nature's Sweet Consolations

+ JMJ +

                  
                 The little cares that fretted me, I lost them yesterday
Among the fields above the sea,
Among the winds at play,
Among the lowing of the herds,
The rustling of the trees.
Among the singing of the birds,
The humming of the bees.
The foolish fears of what may happen,
I cast them all away
Among the clover-scented grass,
Among the husking of the corn
Where drowsy poppies nod,
Where ill thoughts die and good are born,
Out in the fields with God.

From: Stevenson, Burton Egbert.
The Home Book of Verse.

[This poem has been erroneously attributed to Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Louise Imogen Guiney.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely! Talk about relaxing and giving it to God! I need to do more nature walks.

Sweetums5 said...

So do I! Thanks for your comment, honey! Also, Colleen, over at "Thoughts on Grace," shared this beautiful quote:

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky proclaims its builder's craft. One day to the next conveys that message; one night to the next imparts that knowledge. There is no word or sound; no voice is heard. Yet their report goes forth through all the earth, their message, to the ends of the world.

Psalm 19:2-5

The footnote on verse 4 says this - No word or sound: the regular functioning of the heavens and the alternation of day and night inform humans without words of the creator's power and wisdom."

She added: "Ah yes. So true. We need not hear words or sound to know God's power or hear God's message."

Then she wrote: "I was an adult. I was gazing up at the beautiful sky and suddenly tears filled my eyes as I became overwhelmed with the realization that the great Creator who made this sky and moon and stars, who made the whole universe - this same Creator - also made me and loved me and knew my name and the number of hairs on my head. Wow. I believe that God was telling me - I love you with a love that is beyond your understanding."

What an amazing inspiration she received from the Holy Spirit! I'm so glad God sent it my way. So the next time we are out on a walk and struck by the beauty of nature, aside from saying "God made all this for me," we can meditate on this loving gift God sent us through Colleen.

Love, Mama

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails